Secure Messaging on the Internet
A book published by
Artech House Publishers in the Information Security and Privacy Series
Order book from Amazon.com
Rolf Oppliger, Ph.D.
eSECURITY Technologies Rolf Oppliger
CH-3074 Muri b. Bern, Switzerland
Phone/Fax: +41 079 654 84 37
Secure Messaging on the Internet offers a comprehensive understanding of secure Internet messaging,
and brings together all the relevant and critical information needed to use OpenPGP and S/MIME-compliant
software. It explores the conceptual and technical approaches followed by the developers of both OpenPGP and
S/MIME, and gives a thorough treatment of the latest and most-effective technologies for secure messaging.
Ideal for security and network managers, as well as professional system and network administrators, this
easy-to-understand book is a complete guide to OpenPGP, S/MIME, Web-based and gateway solutions, certified
mail, delivery platforms, and instant messaging. It can be used for
self-study or to teach classes.
- Internet Messaging
- Cryptographic Techniques
- Certificate Management
- Secure Messaging
- Web-Based Messaging
- Gateway Solutions
- Certified Mail
- Instant Messaging
- Research Challenges and Open Questions
- Conclusions and Outlook
- Character Sets
- Transfer Encoding Schemes
- ASN.1 and Encoding Rules
- Public Key Cryptography Standards
- Page 128, line 2 from the bottom: "X12.17" must be replaced with "X9.17"
- In August 2018, a group of researchers from CheckPoint revealed vulnerabilities in Whatsapp
(acronymed FakesApp) that could be exploited in some new attacks.
- In May 2018, a group of German researchers released a paper in which they describe a
set of vulnerabilities and respective attacks (named EFAIL) that are relevant for S/MIME and OpenPGP implementations
in user agents supporting HTML.
- On November 29, 2018, Rolf Oppliger will carry out a 1-day seminar on the security of
Internet messaging (in German) on behalf of the eSECURITY EDUCATION CENTER (download flyer).
© 2018 Rolf Oppliger